Saturday, August 4, 2012

Spicy Citrus Shrimp

Ok, this recipe is inspired by Chilean Bass Ceviche. But, there are a couple of problems with that where I live. I'm not touching the fresh fish because it comes from the River nearby and I know what happens in that river. Second, I'm not eating any meat raw. But, I wanted to do something with the citrus so this is what I've come up with.

Ingredients: 

1/2 Lb. uncooked Shrimp, shelled & de-tailed.
2 tomatoes
1 Big Onion (diced)
2 Tbsp. Hot Sauce (Use something like Tabasco or Red Pepper Sauce, I'm a big fan of this Creole Red Pepper Sauce I got at Publix right now)
4 Chopped & seeded hot peppers (poblano, habeñero or jalapeño will do)
1 C. Lemon Juice
1 C. OJ
Pinch of Salt

Steps:

1. Mix Shrimp & Juices in a bowl. Make sure the shrimp are fully covered.
2. Add the other ingredients and mix it up nice and good.
3. Put in to the fridge.

Ok, here is where this recipe becomes a create your own adventure.

4. Let shrimp mixture sit for 24 hours. Eat the next day as ceviche. Delish.

Or

4. Remove from fridge after marinating for four hours and cook in a frying pan until the water boils.
5. Serve the Shrimp over rice or possibly Fried Coriander Dumplings.

This is pretty good and had a slow burn. It doesn't pop you in the mouth with a spice but the citrus and spice will leave your mouth a bit rare midway through the meal. It's worth it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment